Monday 27 April 2009

The Importance of Wilderness

Bleary eyes open as a sleepy bus grinds to a halt. Peering between the cheap red curtains, a dark expanse of nothingness is revealed; dusty shrubs illuminated by a few hundred stars. Yet the door slides open, luggage is dropped onto tarmac, and a cheerful passenger trundles off into the distance. With no buildings in sight, eyes dart backwards and still spy nothing more than an empty road. Leaving the remaining passengers perlexed, she continues her steady walk. The bus pulls away, and a dozen hours later a Patagonian town will appear out of this unforgiving landscape.

And after a hundred hours of bus journeys, I sit at the end of the earth and contemplate the wilderness which lies in every direction. Here the power of an impatient car horn is lost against a new soundtrack - chunks of ice plummeting from a glacier wall, woodpeckers incessantly drilling in the trees, sea-lions smacking their weight against the shore.

A nice stroll in the park is replaced by a battle against the unforgiving winds, which playfully toss tourists to the ground. Those who press on face stinging snowfall and a labyrinth of tree roots clinging to the boggy ground. Some inevitably pack up their tents and head back up north, having finally realised the embarrassing fragility of the human self.

But for those who remain, a sense of awe is awakened in the visitors´mind. Against our human failings, nature thrives. Vivid red leaves paint the mountain side, preying birds soar, and we are left stumbling home to the fireside.

Watching us from between the clouds, the jagged peaks of Fitz Roy provide a faint menace, reminding us that no matter how many buses and guidebooks we bring to Patagonia, this is one place which has already been conquered.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosie,

    I stumbled upon your blog/website while surfing for blog writers based out of Buenos Aires. Love the posts, especially this one about Patagonia. I wanted to go, but did not have a chance.

    I am sure you are busy so I'll cut straight to the chase; I'm a hyperactive Malaysian entrepreneur taking some time to focus on my health via (learning) yoga and tango, and I'm in BA for a month. I don't know anyone in the city - and I am a firm believer that one of the best ways to learn about a new environment is by experiencing it through other folk who have been there for a while.

    I'd love to catch up for a cup of coffee if you're game - my own interests are varied (see my website below) and I take no greater joy than in meeting new people and expanding my social network. My cell # here in Buenos Aires is 15-5725-8577, and I look forward to hearing from you. I'm not sure if you are back in the capital, but it is worth asking.Ciao!
    Anand Pillai
    www.anandpillai.com

    ReplyDelete